Saturday, September 6, 2008

I'm Your Vehicle Baby Boomer Baby

When I first heard this song I thought it was sung by Blood, Sweat & Tears. Many called the Ides of March a "knock-off group" for BS&T and that's why their one-hit wonder ended up being a huge success.

Apparenty the song is based on a true story where the lead singer of the group (Jim Peterik) fell for a girl and after 6 months of dating, the girl dumped him. A few months later he got a call from her asking him for a lift. He didn’t even hesitate in offering the lift and this continued for a long time. Even though he knew she was using him, he didn’t mind being her Vehicle.

4 comments:

Vicki M. Taylor said...

I don't remember that song, but I do remember "Wipe Out" by the Surfaris.

Back in the 60's there were a TON of one hit wonders. There's a website called One Hit Wonder Central where you can get a listing of all one hitters from 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 2000's. It's a really interesting site.

The URL is http://www.onehitwondercentral.com/index.cfm

Pop Art Diva Enterprises said...

That was a one hit wonder, lol, but I do remember it!

I think of "Afternoon Delight" by the Starland Vocal Band. They disappeared but that song title is part of pop culture phraseology now!

Of course, to me "Afternoon Delight" means a naughty hot fudge sundae with the works between noon and 4 pm, lol!

Mitch said...

Yup, knew this one also, but you're right, always thought it was Blood, Sweat & Tears.

Claudia Meydrech said...

I never knew what the song meant before! It just goes to show that you can listen to a song over and over just because you like the sound, the rhythm, the beat, but the words go right past...at least back then :-)

Claudia, the Happy Nutritionist